Tuesday, October 4, 2011

One Hand In The Air for The Big City


New York City.

There's a reason they write about it the way they do. There's a reason why there have been so many great songs and movies and books written about the metropolis (whilst Los Angelenos have to settle for Randy Newman's forgettable attempt at praising their city with "I Love LA" and Steve Martin's thumb-in-the-eye film LA Story).

New York City is a place that is not just visited, it is not just experienced... it is felt. NYC has an attitude, a personality, and a character that makes being there a fulfilling experience. It is a life not lived in most of the United States. It is certainly a far cry from Los Angeles- a city so spread out that the word neighborhood only has at best a 1/10th of the meaning it has in NYC.

I love NYC. And every time I go there, I feel like I learn some things. I returned yesterday from a quick weekend jaunt to wrap filming on an upcoming episode of CSI: NY. Allow me to share with you a few things NYC helped me to realize this time around:

- First Class really is the only way to travel. Granted this isn't necessarily a NYC-taught lesson, but imagine if my first First Class experience had been on a 45 minute flight from Los Angeles to San Francisco... ugh.

- I'm not really a big talker in cabs, car services, etc... Sometimes it's nice just to enjoy the ride. However, if you take a chance on good conversation with someone enthusiastic about the city they love, that love is passed on and you begin to feel it too.

- No matter how old it gets or how many buildings pass it by as the Tallest In The World, The Empire State Building is a thing of beauty. Having a view of it from your hotel room is incredible. Turning off all the lights in your room as you prepare for your bed and staring at the NYC skyline highlighted by the Empire State Building is orgasmic.

- Central Park is everything you want it to be. And quite often, even more.

- Some people never change. Many times that can be a good thing. But when change was the goal, time has just been
wasted.

- What? What's that? You love architecture too?! Oh well, then by all means... GO TO NYC!
- When in Rome, do what the Romans do. When in New York, make sure to get a slice of pizza.

- The Riverside Church of New York is such an
amazingly grand and yet somehow foreboding building that my imagination convinced me that if I were to sneak into it, climb the tower and its long spires, the part of me that loves a good conspiracy and mystery would be rewarded by some hidden room at the top with a centuries-old secret locked inside of it.

- New York makes me want to move there... and then the temperature drops.

- Adam Wilson is one hell of a good man. If I ever stop making time to see him when I'm in his city, I will deserve the title of World's Biggest Asshole.

- Subways are not that big of a mystery. And if you look like you know what you're doing, you won't look as much like a visitor.

Ah yes, NYC...
no place like it.

Can't wait to go back.

No comments: