Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Now don't break our hearts...

"Without overstating, this is quite possibly one of the most important nights of my life."

I wrote that in my Book during some downtime at my internship on November 4, 2008. The first states had yet to be called. I was extremely nervous.

You see...against everything those who raised me thought I should believe in, I voted for Barack Hussein Obama. For the first time in my life, I challenged what my family and many of my oldest friends believe in and made a decision for myself.

In 2005, Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. We all know what happened. Thousands died. Thousands more were left to fend for themselves in deplorable conditions while the President sat his ass on his ranch and figured out a shitty game plan. On a more personal note, my family lost the only home I grew up in which was my favorite place on the planet. In the days and weeks that followed, my entire political ideals changed. Finding no satisfactory action from either of our country's dominating political parties, I began to believe the way we do things in this country is wrong. That having a country where the extreme majority of its leaders subscribe to 2 political parties and have to adhere to its policies to either get enough money to run or to please the citizens- who, consequently, also subscribe to only 2 political idealogies. I re-registed in California as an Independent and swore I would never vote Republican again simply because it's how I was raised. Conversely, I would never vote Democrat solely because it was the only other viable option. I'd rather vote for someone who doesn't have a shot but who I believe in than vote only because it's the Lesser of Two Evils.

I honestly lost A LOT of faith in our government. In both parties. It was always the same shit.

Then, along came Barack Obama. I was skeptical at first. But, I began paying attention to him following his incredible speech at the DNC in '04. Despite disagreeing with him on a number of issues, I began to genuinely believe this man when he spoke. For the first time, I believe that this was someone whose ambition does not only include furthering his career but also means actually making a difference in people's lives.

Obama cut to a part of me that is idealistic and wants to believe in the people who run this nation. He gives me faith that really making a change takes intelligence and common sense but also humanity and compassion.

I don't think Barack Obama seems to be the kind of change this government needs- I believe he is. A change in the way we do things- someone not totally mired down and jaded by a political system that has a certain way of doing things that doesn't always include the good of the people or the best interests of this nation.

In short, he was the exact candidate my disillusioned self needed at just the right time.

And he won!

It really is an inspiring time here in this country! There is something in the air as you walked around in the days following the election- that people are amazed at the change that has happened.

Would it be overstatement to say 'excitement'? I mean, even the media has been kind of giddy at the notion that we've matured as a nation. That we've recognized there is a major problem with the philosophy of the last 8 years and have changed it- but also that we are grown up enough to put our ridiculous prejudices and fears aside and vote an AFRICAN-AMERICAN man named BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA into the Office of the President!!!!

It feels good.

Hell, change has already come- in a way. In the wake of the passing of California's Proposition 8, there have already been almost 10 protests just in my area from the gay and gay-supporting community. No one is taking it lying down!

It's actually pretty great to see people standing up for themselves and their rights. No more lying down and accepting what George W. and his abrasive administration have spoon-fed us. Time to get on your feet!

And I think Barack Obama has played a large part in making us believe that "Yes We Can."
There's a simple but wonderful moment at the end of Mike Nichols's film Primary Colors. John Travolta as the newly-elected President walks down a line of supporters and aides accepting their congratulations when a kind, goofy Southern lady that had worked his campaign reaches out, takes his hand, looks him straight in the eye and with a smile says:
"Now don't break our hearts."

It's something about the way she says it. There's such an honesty in that line- honesty in that she TRULY believes that this is man is exactly who she thinks he is. An elatedness that someone she poured her heart and soul into has a chance to make a difference in this wonderful country we live in. But, it's also said with a wink--- a confidence that, though, she's saying it- she doesn't truly believe there is any chance that Her President will ever, ever break her heart and that he is, indeed, capable of making a change in the world.

It's a beautiful moment- and it's exactly how I feel right now. Our President-Elect has a chance to do some great things in this country and in this world. And I, for one, believe it will happen.
If I could say anything to Barack Obama right now, I would reach out, shake his hand, smile and say:

"Now don't break our hearts."


gObama

5 comments:

mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mary said...

nicely done! now you should read mine. it's more stream of consciousness than narrative.
http://mcgent.blogspot.com/

Kelly said...

I wonder who introduced you to Barack Obama??? Could it be a lovely little blonde girl from Chicago?

Unknown said...

the truth. well said brother

michael said...

....almost a week later, and this is still sticking with me. Beautifully written and honestly expressed. Thanks, Nate.