Monday, November 24, 2008

It's Nice To Be Awed Every Now And Then.

Can I share something with you?

I don't know how you people out there feel about theatre. More specifically, I don't know how you people feel about musicals. When it comes to theatre, I think a great play will trump any great movie any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

When it comes to musicals, I think they are so rarely done well that it's almost pointless to expect too much out of them.

But, if you're in Los Angeles, go see Spring Awakening at the Ahmanson Theatre. I am now 3-for-3 with shows I've seen at the Ahmanson and let me tell you...my last experience was quite possibly the best experience I've had as an actor and supporter of theatre. It was natural, then, for me to expect something less impressive this time around. Especially considering SA is a musical version of a play that I think should never be produced at this place in history because it is dated and doesn't translate well to English (from its original German).

However, this production was simply amazing. The music has been in my head since I walked out of the theatre and the acting of the cast- though not the best I've ever seen- was extremely honest and inspiring to watch. The lights, the set and just the entire conceptualization of it is innovative and wonderful. All these things added together, plus having witnessed the show from the 2nd row, update the show in a way that its message is loud and clear and heartbreaking and uplifting and exactly what I think good theatre ought to be.

I rarely expend the energy to write what ends up free publicity for a play I'm not in, but this show totally deserves it. And everyone involved in its production deserves to have you go see it.

Spring Awakening, The Ahmanson Theatre, downtown Los Angeles, til December 7th.

Hell, I wanna go again. It's expensive, though...

anyone wanna buy me a ticket? :-p

No comments: